Speech Contest Winner: Ayla Blatt; Alternate: Kennedi Cavalier
March 12, 2017
To Friends and Members of the Kutztown Rotary Club.
March 15: Student of the Month/Kjalar's Program
Each month the Kutztown Rotary Club recognizes one outstanding student each from Kutztown Area High School and Brandywine Heights Area High School. The award is presented to a senior from each of the schools once a month during the school year based on accomplishments in academics, school participation and community contributions. These students never fail to impress Rotarians with their positive impact on our community. Their parents and representatives from the school are always welcome.
Also, our exchange student from Iceland, Kjalar, will present his program on his homeland and his experiences as a student at Brandywine Heights Area High School.
Return to top.
Coming Meetings & Events:
To see the complete Program Schedule for 2016-17, go to http://kutztownrotary.org/index.php#anchorCAL Return to top.
March 22: Cliff Reinert, rotaplast
Cliff, a member of the Boyertown club, just returned from a Rotaplast mission in Cumana, Venezuela. He was a member of a Rotaplast team of men and women that went to Cumana to help young children with cleft lip/pallets have a second chance in life, having that corrected so they would be accepted by Society. Rotaplast sends multidisciplinary medical teams to provide free reconstructive surgery, ancillary treatment, and training for the comprehensive care of affected children. Rotaplast supports education and research towards prevention of cleft lip and/or palate. The aim of Rotaplast is to help local professionals build sustainable models for the care of these children, improving their lives and those of their families.
Return to top.
March 26 to April 2:
On Sunday afternoon, set sail from Miami to the Dominican Republic aboard the intimate 704-passenger Adonia. While at sea, you'll participate in carefully crafted workshops designed to introduce you to your destination and encourage self-discovery and curiosity. After arriving in the Dominican Republic around midday Tuesday, you'll spend three days immersing yourself in the local culture of Puerto Plata and collaborating with local volunteers on engaging community projects such as teaching English, helping with tree planting and reforestation, making water filters for home use, pouring concrete floors, aiding a women’s chocolate cooperative as well as a paper recycling and craft entrepreneurship. - On Friday, you'll begin your return to Miami a different person than when you left. Prices start at $299pp from Miami. For more information see Sail & Serve Cruise
Return to top.
Our club's website has been updated and has a new look.
- 1) The Splash Page you see first is the most recent News Bulletin. It will be updated weekly.
- 2) The Home Page is the former splash page. All pages have a white background now.
- 3) The clickable photo of our Bicentennial float links to sections that describe our activities.
- 4) The Splash Page is accessed with the “News” button and replaces the former Email page.
- 5) The Schedule Page has our up-to-date program schedule.
- 6) The list of all Past & Present Members and their tenure is up to date.
- 7) We now have 5 webpages:
- News/Splash page: http://www.kutztownrotary.org
- Home page: http://www.kutztownrotary.org/home.php
- History page: http://www.kutztownrotary.org/history.php
- TOK: http://tasteofkutztown.org
- Rotaract: http://www.kutztownrotary.org/ku.php
Return to top.
The Rest of the Story
Camp Neidig will be held June 16th to 19th. Details are at: http://campneidig.com/forms.html
Program Schedule 2016-17: Please let Program Director Amy Sheller & Webmaster Steve Henning know what your program is and of any changes.
Kutztown Day Committee: Bob Hobaugh is looking for someone to replace him on the Kutztown Day Committee.
Barry Martin's new email address is: firstname.lastname@example.org
Renee's new email address: email@example.com
Free Background Checks are REQUIRED for any Rotarian driving or helping out our Exchange Student. For more see Background Checks.
Club Meetings & News eMail Archive If you have something to include in our next email, contact Steve Henning (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Saturday.
Things every Rotarian should know: Rotary strives to achieve it's objective of "Service Above Self" through activities in five primary areas. These are often referred to as the Five Avenues of Service:
- Club Service: to make the club strong to achieve its goals.
- Vocational Service: to promote the dignity and utility of one's vocation.
- Community Service: to improve the quality of life in our community.
- International Service: strive for understanding, goodwill & peace in the world.
- New Generations Service: nurture youth, provide skills for success.
Rotary Foundation: As a tribute to the first gift we are asking every Kutztown Rotarian to contribute $26.50 or more to Rotary International Foundation. Please make checks payable to "Kutztown Rotary" and give them to Jim Sher. He will put them together with the correct form giving proper credit to each Rotarian. Return to top.